Monday, November 24, 2008

Being Foreign Suits Me


Having just gotten back from the US I have been asked one question the most: What is the biggest change since I left? Lo-flo toilets. Never mind the hulking beasts of SUVs still stalking every fucking road in the country, but that is a different complaint. The greatest changes have happened within myself. Nationalism is a 19th century idea and it is one to which I do not subscribe. However, I am and will always be identified as an American and I feel regret to know that I view the country of my birth with the eyes of a foreigner. I enjoy its pleasures and am amused by its peccadilloes in equal measure. Although I am more at home in Europe, I know it will never be my home. So, I my identity must drift somewhere off shore between the two. So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment